Saturday, September 6, 2008

How badak3 met bebadak yang lain...

I was introduced to badak Pres. by Badak VP when I came back for my fieldwork in 1996. Prior to the meeting I was already briefed of how badak Pres. would look like - a 'physically challenged" person who wore miniskirts or shorts and rode a kapcai. BTW, I knew Badak VP long before I knew the rest of the clan. I'll elaborate on that later.

We picked her up at the management school and went off to I-don't-remember where. Like badak 4 had mentioned earlier, badak Pres. was a very nice person. We hit it off instantly. A multi-skilled person who can cook, sew, bake, make 'bunga telur" and best of all, repair shoes! She's a lifeguard at the univesity's pool. She dives too. What else didn't she do? Oh I know.... housekeeping is certainly not her forte! I remember during the time when she was squatting in the school's office, we use to frequent her room and had lunch there. She would cook rice and baked fish there. She even baked hariraya cookies in a toaster oven that she had in the room. Imagine the aroma... I guess Badak Pres. is the most carefree person I've ever met.

Badak VP. I've known her since ITM (ITM, not UiTM!) days. Never liked her. She was already a "loud" person then. But we became good friends when we in the same university in the US. We were also leaving in the same apartment building and eventually in the same apartment. When I was first told by a contact that I should contact her before I left for Boston, my heart fell to the ground. God! That girl!? But she turned out to be a kind person. She cooked and prepared my bed for me. At the end of my first semester there, we became friends and now, very good friends.

Badak4 did not mention this but I first met her way back in 1994 when we attended the SLAB together. There she was in tattered jeans and slippers walking into the room. Then there was one afternoon when she walked into the room holding a thermal mug in her hand and everybody was looking at her. She reminded me so much of how american undergrads looked like. Then when we met again in 1998, she turned to be my neighbour.

Bedak4 moved in next door after Badak5 moved out from the apartment at the transit block. It started with just smile and hi, then elevated to exchange of food and later lepakking at each other's places.

The rest, they say is history....

No comments: